Mississippi – the Magnolia State
Interactive Map | Printables | Online Activities | Top 5 Facts | History | In Detail | Video
Click the points of the map below to learn more
Mississippi Online Extras
Mssissippi State Bird: Mockingbird
Top Five Facts
1. ) Tupelo, Mississippi was the birthplace of Elvis Presley
2. ) Residents of Vicksburg, Mississippi refused to celebrate the Fourth of July for more than 80 years after the fall of the town during the Civil War, which occurred on July 4, 1863.
3. ) Biloxi, Mississippi is the oldest continuous settlement on the Gulf Coast.
4. ) The Mississippi Delta, which is actually an alluvial plain, features some of the world’s most fertile soil.
5. ) Natchez, Mississippi has more antebellum (pre-Civil War) mansions that any other place in America.
1863 Siege at Vicksburg
Mississippi Highway Sign -By WebTV3 – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=19085008
Selected Mississippi Video – Vicksburg