South Carolina – the Palmetto State
Interactive Map | Printables | Online Activities | Top 5 Facts | History | People | In Detail | Video
Click the points of the map below to learn more
South Carolina Printables
South Carolina Online Extras
South Carolina State Bird: Carolina Wren
Top Six Facts
1. ) South Carolina was the first state to secede (break away) from the United States in the American Civil War.
2. ) The first shots of the American Civil War were fired at Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor in 1861.
3. ) Over 14 million people visit Myrtle Beach every year.
4. ) Patriot forces scored two major victories in the Revolutionary War at Cowpens and Kings Mountain in western South Carolina.
5. ) Johnston, South Carolina is known as the Peach Capital of the World. In fact, South Carolina is the nation’s leading producer of peaches east of the Mississippi River.
South Carolina in History
Battle of Cowpens
How does South Carolina’s history compare to other states? Click below to try State History Rater
People of South Carolina
Andrew Jackson – 7th President
South Carolina in Detail
Postage stamp honoring the 250th anniversary of the founding of Charleston
Selected South Carolina Video – Congaree National Park