Fort Clatsop was the winter encampment of Meriwether Lewis, William Clark, and the
Corps of Discovery during the winter of 1805-1806 at the mouth of the Columbia River. It was named after the Clatsop Indians that inhabited the area. Fort Clatsop marked the westernmost point explored by the famous pair during their landmark expedition into western lands acquired by the United States in the Louisiana Purchase. The original structure was little more than a small, cramped, wooden hut.